Okay, so we know that there are already quite a few tomato soup recipes out there. Hey, you may even have one that you’d never stray away from. To be honest, I’m not the biggest tomato soup fan! I am, however, a soup-all-year-round type of person.
This delicious tomato soup recipe contains absolutely no sugar. The natural sweetness you get from the yellow onion takes care of that.
All ingredients listed below are organically sourced. Please don’t feel like you need to follow my recipe to a T. We invite you to experiment and add a bit of your flare and flavor to our dishes. We love to see how you all mix up these classics at home! Feel free to tag us on social media or drop a comment under your favorite recipe!
(5-6) Large Roma tomatoes (boiled until softened)
(1) Large Yellow Onion
1.5 cups of chicken broth
4-5 cloves of garlic
4 Tbs of salted butter
1/2-1 cup of cream
1 cup Parmesan
Tsp of celery salt or half a stick of raw celery
Fresh basil for garnish
How to Make Tomato Soup
1. Saute Aromatics – heat a non-reactive pot over medium heat. Melt in 4 Tbsp butter then sautee onions and celery until softened and golden (10-12 min). Add minced garlic and saute for another minute.
2. Make the tomato soup base – stir in the tomatoes, your chicken stock, salt, pepper, onions, and garlic mixture. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Blend (if desired)– use an immersion blender in the pot or blend in batches using a standard blender (be careful not to overfill the blender with hot liquid) and return the soup to the pot.
4. Add a splash of heavy cream and freshly shaved parmesan (optional)–then stir for about 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste if needed.
5. Serve – ladle into warm bowls and garnish with more parmesan and basil.
Did you try this? Let us know in the comments!